Be Ready For What Comes After A Wildfire With Flood Insurance

Wildfires can dramatically alter terrain and vegetation, but did you know they cause flood risk to increase? Large-scale wildfires leave the ground charred, barren, and unable to Flood Insuranceabsorb water. This puts residents living in and around areas affected by wildfires at greater risk of flooding until vegetation is restored, which can take up to five years or more.  We also know that in Colorado floods can happen anywhere, anytime. Often, they accompany natural disasters such as storms, early snowmelts or rising rivers, but not always. About 25 percent of all flood insurance claims come from outside of high-risk areas.

Many homeowners do not realize that their basic homeowners insurance does not include protection from flood damage, and that flood insurance must be purchased as a separate policy. The Division of Insurance does not regulate flood insurance. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administers the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a federally subsidized program available to any property owner —homeowners, renters, condominium owners and associations — whether or not the property is in floodplain. National Flood Insurance costs about $1 a day, on average, depending on location and the type of coverage chosen. Typically, there is a 30-day waiting period after applying and paying the first premium for the insurance to become effective. Coverage choices include insuring just the structure of a home or also including its contents.

Just an inch of water in your home can cause up to $25,000 in damage, and the soil and sediment from denuded ground  can cause even more. Flood insurance is provided from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)  can help you protect the life you’ve built. National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is sold through private insurance agencies like Bolder Insurance, so there’s no need to shop around for the lowest rate.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) at These maps help determine the amount of flood risk and if flood insurance is required. You can view the maps to determine if your property is in a flood-prone area. You can also enter your address to get an estimated flood risk profile.

Contact one of our Bolder Insurance advisor about buying flood insurance to get the coverage that’s right for you.


Information in this article taken from FEMA and DORA FEMA

Disclaimer: The analysis of coverage is in general terms and is superseded in all respects by the Insuring Agreements, Endorsements, Exclusions, Terms and Conditions of the Policy. Some of the coverage mentioned in this material may not be applicable in all states or may have to be modified to conform to applicable state law. Some coverages may have been eliminated or modified since the publishing of this material. Please check with your local Independent Bolder Insurance Agent for details.