Jewelry and watches have a strong appeal to many people. They can represent sentiment, personal adornment, private assets, family heirlooms and collectible works of art. Because of their unique value, jewelry worn today should be preserved for tomorrow.
Consider the following tips to help protect your jewelry:
- Store jewelry in a clean, protected location, such as a jewelry box.
- Place jewelry in separated compartments because some metals and gemstones scratch or chip more easily than others. Some boxes include individually padded slots for rings and provide posts for hanging necklaces and bracelets.
- Consider installing a secured safe within your home to prevent theft.
- Keep your most precious items or items you wear infrequently in a bank vault or safe deposit box. In addition to preventing theft or misplacement, you may also save on insurance premiums.
- Prepare an inventory of your watches and jewelry, just as you would all of your property. Take photos and keep purchase receipts. Store a copy offsite.
- Take extra steps when traveling:
- Photograph jewelry you plan to take with you in case an item is lost or stolen.
- Pack jewelry in your carry-on bag, not in checked luggage.
- Keep your most expensive items with you at all times.
- Place unattended jewelry in a locked safe or vault under hotel management supervision rather than in your hotel room safe.
- Examine the condition of each item on a regular basis. Check for loose settings, weak clasps and worn strings. Have any weaknesses or damage repaired as soon as possible.
- Visit a professional about every 6 months to have your jewelry professionally cleaned and inspected.
- Schedule a jewelry re-appraisal on a regular basis, about every 3 to 5 years.
Jewelry and watches have style and beauty we can admire. Contact a Bolder Insurance advisor for more detailed information on how to preserve your collection for generations to come.
Coverages described here are in the most general terms and are subject to actual policy conditions and exclusions. For actual coverage wording, conditions and exclusions, refer to the policy or contact a Bolder Insurance advisor.
Article compliments of: The Cincinnati Insurance Companies